Monday 25 May 2015

MOVING IN: My university experience



27th September, 2014.

Anxiousness. The only word I think that could sum up my feelings right before moving into university. Don't get me wrong, I felt relieved to be moving on the next step in my life and yada yada yada but leaving everything for a strange environment was just not my thing. Do you know what I mean?

Being the last to move out to uni compared to my friends felt like a lifetime away. Everyone was having fun, meeting new people and having their freshers experience while I was stuck at home doing absolutely NOTHING. At the same time though I was getting more anxious as my friends told me their experiences especially those that seemed to have flatmates from hell. But the day came round and I was leaving the nest (temporarily)!


8am in a stuffed to the brim car on the way to uni, all my emotions just started eating away at me . What if my flatmates hate me? What if they think I'm weird? Did I take to much stuff? What if I become a LONER !?


I literally bought my whole house with me (as my mum said), but I didn't think so. I mean what if I needed a top to wear one night I cant be travelling all the way home for just that one top. Or how about a pair of shoes that would go with my outfit perfectly but i've left them at home ?! I just think its better to be prepared than sorry. 


Arriving at  uni around 9ish am I went to go collect my key and bam it finally hit me. IM A UNI STUDENT. Boy moving in is one of the hardest things ever to do especially if you have so much things. My uni gave out these little green carts that we could stuff our things into so that it made it a bit easier to move things, they also had freshers angels helping so it wasn't too tiring. One advice I would give is have as many people help out as much as possible mum, dad, sister, brother why not even call your gran? 


I hadn't found anyone online before moving in so I literally knew no one. Another tip before moving in is to go on Facebook and find groups that your other potential housemates could have made or check your uni Facebook if anyone has posted anything and just get chatting to them. This would help if you feel really anxious and worried about the people you are going to potentially live with.


But anyways the room I moved in was not bad at all. I just remembered that I would be here more the next few months on my OWN. No mum and no dad. Now that did scare me a little bit, I mean I wanted to be free and stuff but c'mon everything is just easier at home. 


Before my parents left they made sure I had a good old shop just to make sure I would end up starving to death. That's another tip make sure to stock up before your parents leave, you never know when you'll get the munchies. 


After that my parents dropped me off to my flat one last time. This is when the tsunami waves hit me, and boy it hit me hard. In all honesty I balled when I said goodbye to them, it was like I was leaving them forever (sounds so sappy doesn't it ?). If you just happen to stumble upon this post and have the same feeling when moving to university, just remember your parents are always there and only a phone call away, and remember they probably miss you more. But it's only temporary and your uni experience is going to fly by and your going to wonder how it happened so quickly. 


Anyways after that, I knew I had to fix up cause it was time to meet my new flat mates . . .




No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall